Saturday, September 12, 2015

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton . Review




I had high hopes for this book as it is a very small book and the plot seemed simple and the setting seemed quaint . One third of the way through the book I began to struggle with the hopelessness of the situation the characters were in . The sourness of Ethan's wife , deceptions , illness and the weather all resulted in this being a grey book. By that I mean it lacked all hope , it was dismal and depressing and in a very small amount of pages it conjures a lot of harsh  criticism by me. A man in the countryside living with two women , his wife and her relation that lives with them . The only glimmer of hope for the book was that the setting depicted the season well and it went perfectly with the tone of the book. I won't be reading this again but if you like a slim book with an uncomplicated plot to read in one go then this may be perfect for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment