Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh . Review.

I have a fondness for movies and books about the sea so when I got the chance to review a book set aboard a ship called the Ibis , used as a slave ship and for carrying supplies of Opium how could I resist. It took me a little while to get used to the way the characters talked to each other but when I got he hang of  that I could appreciate the humour and the characters a lot more. The book is pure escapism as I could not remember reading anything like this before and this world richly described made me day dream of foreign lands and different cultures and traditions and how important they are and how diverse the different parts of the world are. The characters are a colourful bunch , mostly of misfits , but the female characters show enviable strength during very hard times in their lives. Intrepid adventures and dangerous journeys on the high sea make this an almost sensory experience as it is described so well . My favourite characters were Deeti and Kalua ....my heart broke at times for these two people who showed compassion for their fellow humans in a time when there was little. I recommend this if you want to escape into a completely different world reading about exotic destinations from the comfort of your armchair. 

I received this book for review from the lovely people over at Lovereading.co.uk
This is book 1 in the Ibis trilogy. The next book is called River of Smoke and the final book is called Flood of fire and this will be published in May 2015 and will be available from Lovereading and all other good bookstores then .
Below please find a link to this book on the Lovereading website.

No comments:

Post a Comment