Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Review.


The setting for the story is present day Bodleian Library, Oxford, Cambridge. The main characters of the story are Diana Bishop and Matthew Clairmont . Diana comes from a long line of witches but has never been interested in using any of the skills she may have. Matthew is a vampire geneticist who is incredibly handsome and interesting and possibly dangerous . When Diana one day comes across a very important manuscript it opens up a magical world that she had no idea was around her.The story takes us many places, across many lands and we get to meet those closest to Diana and Matthew as they are both going to need all the help they can get from their families as their relationship is frowned upon and feared. I love the way Deborah writes, even though the book is over 600 pages long the writing is so good that you don't feel the pages fly by. I love how so much of the beginning of the book is set in the library and how I can picture it so clearly thanks to Deborah's description of it.
This book really did feel like a journey and I don't think I will be satisfied until I have all three books read. It is very moreish and hard to put down. Diana and her family were probably my favourite characters in the book , not forgetting Matthew! Ahhhh Matthew.... I loved how protective, caring and old fashioned gentleman he was..... despite  a fondness for drinking blood. ....Well no guy is perfect!
This is book one in this trilogy and I already have book 2 so I can start it as soon as possible but this is definitely  a series to get excited about. Go get this!


No comments:

Post a Comment