Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen . Review.

Reading this book was a real light bulb moment for me. I finally understood why Ms Austen's books get so much recognition and are adored by millions.
I am ashamed to say it took me 33 years on this earth to finally pick up this dazzling book and now that I have I am greedy for more.
These characters, this plot...genius!!!!
What puts me off reading books from this era in time is the worry that the plots will not be relevant today.. from what I have seen not much has changed in the hundred plus years since this book was published. Of course there are some obvious differences such as women's role's in marriage, careers etc to name but a few but some things never change such as love, families, bad people, greed, bitchiness and sarcasm.
I do have favourite characters from the book... Mr Bennet , Lizzie, Jane , Mr Bingley, reading about them filled me with so much joy!
Mr Collins on the other hand made me shiver and repulsed me no end. I could almost picture him slithering around the story, greasy haired and unable to say a good word about anyone. ( Its fun how you can set an idea in your head about how a character would look and every time you read the story you picture them like that).
Mr Bennet's humour and sarcasm made me smile from beginning to end where as his wife was in need of a good scolding.
All in all this story was one to be cherished and I will be putting it on my favourite list from now on. Little did I know all these years that I had this gem on my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment